B.Ed Health, Physical Education and Recreation
Bachelor of Education
Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation
4 years (Standard Entry)
Modes of Study:
- The Minimum Admission Requirement into the University of Cape Coast for WASSCE applicants is aggregate 36. For SSSCE applicants, the minimum requirement is aggregate 24.
- Candidates must have passes in six (6) subjects with overall aggregate of 36/24 at the WASSCE/SSSCE level respectively.
- Three of the six subjects must be core subjects: English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science/Core Science.
For purposes of admission, a pass in
- WASSCE means Grade: A1 – C6.
- SSSCE means Grade: A – D.
In addition to the above, candidates must
- pass a theory and practice test to be conducted by the university (test is based on the 2008 SHS syllabus for Physical Education).
- Must be at least 25 years of age at the time the application form is completed
- Must possess Teachers’ Certificate ‘A’ with a minimum of 3 years’ teaching experience.
- Must pass a selection examination in General Paper, a special paper in Health, Physical Education and Leisure and a practical test.
- A good Diploma (a minimum of Second Class Lower Division or better) obtained from the University of Cape Coast or equivalent institutions with at least two (2) years post qualification teaching/working experience.
- All candidates must pass an interview.
This programme trains learners to be professional supervisors of physical education and recreational activities in schools. Physical education is an important aspect of the educational curriculum in schools in Ghana. It is designed to train professionals to help children develop and improve upon their physique through activities that focus on the movement of the body parts. Related activities such as healthy eating and good sleeping habits are covered in the programme. Students are therefore taught the nutritional value of various kinds of foods. They are also trained to be able to help school children stay healthy and also gain from benefits of improved brain usage that comes with increased physical activity. In addition, learners are trained in athletic skills, teamwork spirit, teaching skills, motivational and organisational skills to be able to proficiently conduct and supervise physical education and recreational activities in schools.
CMS 107: COMMUNICATIVE SKILLS I
EDF 101: SOCIAL AND PHILOSOPHICAL FOUNDATIONS OF EDUCATION
EPH 141: FOUNDATIONS OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
EPH 144: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF SOCCER AND VOLLEYBALL
EPH 145: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF BASKETBALL AND TABLE TENNIS
EPS 101A: EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
ILT 101: INFORMATION LITERACY
CMS 108: COMMUNICATIVE SKILLS II
EPH 146: HUMAN ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
EPH 147: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF ATHLETICS I:
EPH 148: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF GYMNASTICS AND DANCE
EPH 246: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF HOCKEY AND HANDBALL
EPH 241: KINESIOLOGY
EPH 243: FIRST AID/CARE AND PREVENTION OF SPORTS INJURIES
EPH 244: CURRICULUM STUDIES IN HEALTH, PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND LEISURE
EPH 245: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF ATHLETICS II
EPS 211: EDUCATIONAL STATISTICS
EPS 212: SPECIAL EDUCATION
PHL 205: CRITICAL THINKING AND PRACTICAL REASONING
EPH 247: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF TENNIS AND BADMINTON
EPH 252: TESTS, MEASUREMENTS AND EVALUATION IN HEALTH, P. E. AND LEISURE
EPH 261: INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH EDUCATION
EPH 288: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF SWIMMING
EPH 346: WEIGHT TRAINING, WEIGHT LIFTING AND CIRCUIT TRAINING
EPH 347: INTRODUCTION TO SPORTS MEDICINE
EPH 348: PSYCHOLOGY AND SOCIOLOGY OF COACHING
EPH 351: INTRODUCTION TO EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY
EPH 354: THEORY AND PRACTICE OF NETBALL AND RECREATIONAL GAMES
EMT 390: MICRO TEACHING
EPH 341: MOTOR LEARNING
EPH 343: PHYSICAL FITNESS AND WELLNESS
EPH 356: COACHING THEORY
EPH 361: HUMAN DISEASES
EPH 363: INTRODUCTION TO EPIDEMIOLOGY
EPH 372: NUTRITION, EXERCISE AND HEALTH
EPH 399: RESEARCH METHODS IN HEALTH, PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND LEISURE
EPS 311: ASSESSMENT IN EDUCATION
PH 362: SEX AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH EDUCATION
EDF 401: HISTORY AND MANAGEMENT OF EDUCATION IN GHANA
EPH 443: : ORGANIZATION AND ADMINISTRATION IN HEALTH, PE AND LEISURE
EPH 447: PRACTICUM/SEMINAR IN COACHING
EPS 403: PRINCIPLES OF GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING
ETP 491: FIELD EXPERIENCE IN TEACHING
EPH 499: PROJECT WORK
EPH 459: LEGAL/ETHICAL ISSUES IN PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SPORT
EPH 463: SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY HEALTH EDUCATION
EPH 464: SEMINAR IN PLANNING, IMPLEMENTING, AND EVALUATING HEALTH EDUCATION ACTIVITIES
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes