M.Phil Clinical Health Psychology
Master of Philosophy
Department of Education and Psychology
2 years (Standard Entry)
Modes of Study:
The goal of this programme is to train clinical health psychologists who will have the requisite competencies that will enable them to function in the area of mental and behavioural health within the Ghana Health Service and related agencies.
A successful applicant would be offered a probationary admission as a Postgraduate Research Student [PRS] for the first year. Students may progress to the second year after having satisfied the following conditions:
- Completed all courses required at the masters level
- Obtained a CGPA of 2.5 or better
- Taken a course in academic writing and passed
- Successfully defended a final research proposal before a department examining panel
A non- research master’s degree candidate seeking admission to the MPhil Programme must:
- Have obtained a CGPA of 2.5 or better in the masters course work
- Submit an official transcript of academic record
- Submit at least two referee’s report one of which must be from a former lecturer
- Submit a proposal of 2-3 pages on the intended area of study including references
- Satisfy any additional requirements prescribed by the colleges/faculties /schools /institutes/departments. This may include relevant work experience and written entrance examination and / or interview.
Goal / Objectives:
The objectives of the programme are to train clinical health psychologists who can:
- Assess, formulate and evaluate clinical problems based on scientific evidence.
- Competently apply ethical principles in assessing and treating people who come to them for clinical interventions.
- Manage mental health as well as psychological aspects of physical health problems within the Ghana Health Service by applying biopsychosocial theories and spiritual models as they relate to clinical and health psychology.
- Use clinical and scientific knowledge to promote positive mental health in the Ghanaian society.
- Competently apply clinical and health psychology principles, techniques and skills to rehabilitate individuals with mental and physical health problems as well as substance use disorders.
- Undertake clinically-oriented research in the areas of mental and physical health.
- Ministry of Education and Ghana Education Service
- College of Education (Tutors)
- Security Services, NGOs
- Training Units of institutions
CHP 801: PERSPECTIVES IN CLINICAL HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY
CHP 802: CHILD AND ADULT PSYCHOPATHOLOGY
CHP 803: CLINICAL NEUROPSYCHOLOGY
CHP 804 : SPECIAL EDUCATION AND INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES
CHP 805: ADVANCED RESEARCH METHODS IN CLINICAL AND HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY
CHP 806: CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY AND SPIRITUALITY
CHP 807: PSYCHODIAGNOSTICS, CLINICAL INTERVIEWS AND CASE FORMULATIONS
CHP 808: SUBSTANCE ABUSE, NEUROPSYCHIATRY AND PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY
CHP 809: HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY
EPS 812A: COMPUTER APPLICATION IN EDUCATION
SGS 801: ACADEMIC WRITING
CHP 811: PSYCHOLOGICAL THERAPIES I
CHP 812: PROFESSIONAL ISSUES AND ETHICS
CHP 813: CLINICAL PLACEMENT I
CHP 814: PSYCHOLOGICAL THERAPIES II
CHP 890: CLINICAL PLACEMENT II
CHP 899: THESIS
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes