M.Phil Health Education (Top Up – SANDWICH)
Master of Philosophy
Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation
2 years (Standard Entry)
Modes of Study:
The Government of Ghana through it policies have upgraded Colleges of Education (COEs) into University Colleges and Polytechnics to Technical Universities. Nursing and Midwifery Training Colleges are in a similar upgrading process. This means that tutors and lecturers in these institutions who hold M.Ed./M.A. and other non-research Masters degrees would have to be upgraded to, at least, Master of Philosophy degrees, which are research based. In most instances, it is difficult for such teachers to leave the classroom to pursue regular university residential Masters programmes such as the MPhil. Therefore, there is an urgent need for the commencement of this Top-Up to MPhil programme on a sandwich/regular basis to enable these Lecturers and Tutors who, due to lack of study leave, are unable to pursue regular residential M.Phil programmes the opportunity to upgrade themselves. The upgradement from M.Ed./M.A. to M.Phil will give these Tutors and Lecturers the minimum requirement needed to continue their work in these institutions.
This programme will help achieve the inclusive and equitable quality education and promotion of lifelong learning opportunities the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Number 4 (Quality Education) hopes for. Therefore, for the nation to benefit fully from its educational aspirations and achieve the SDG 4, there is the need for skilled professionals with content and pedagogical knowledge to handle the students in these upgraded institutions.
With the upgrade of the COEs, Polytechnics and pending upgrading of Nursing and Midwifery Training Colleges to tertiary status, most of the Tutors and Lecturers are likely to be laid off. Since majority of these Tutors and Lecturers do not possess the minimum MPhil degree required to work as academic staff in these institutions. Hence, the Top-Up programme will enable the affected personnel with M.Ed./M.A. background in Health Education and closely related areas to upgrade themselves with the requisite knowledge and skills within a short time period.
Also, from the commencement of the M.A. sandwich programmes at the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) in 2008, over 500 students have passed out and most of these graduates are workers who cannot come to pursue their MPhil on regular basis, hence an avenue for them to Top-Up on the sandwich/regular basis to acquire their MPhil.
In line with the mission of the University of Cape Coast to provide quality education through the provision of comprehensive liberal and professional programmes, this top-up programme is designed to challenge learners to be creative, innovative and responsible citizens. Those who are capable of pursuing their PhD programmes would also take advantage to do so after this Top-Up MPhil sandwich/regular programme.
University of Ghana School of Public Health has similar programmes such as Master of Public Health (MPH) in Public Health. Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology School of Public Health also offers Master of Science (MSc) and Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in Health Promotion and Education. However, all these programmes are administered on a regular residential basis. The MPhil Top-Up programme will allow students to pursue their MPhil on both sandwich and regular basis.
The programme targets the following groups of persons:
- School Health Education Programme (SHEP) coordinators at the Regional, Metropolitan, Municipal, District and Circuit education levels;
- Tutors in public and private Nursing and Midwifery Training Colleges and other Health Institutions of Higher learning;
- Other Personnel from the Ministry of Health and graduates with health related certificates;
- Environmental Health and Sanitation Officers/Workers at Regional, Metropolitan, Municipal and District levels;
- Teachers in public and private Basic, Senior High Schools, COEs, and Technical Universities;
- Personnel of NGOs in health related activities;
- Corporate and private fitness management personnel;
- Public and community health service providers;
After the Top-Up MPhil programme, a candidate may be allowed to upgrade to a Ph.D. programme if he/she obtains the following.
- CGPA of 3.5 in a course work.
- Not more than one grade C+.
- Score B+ or better MPhil Research Methods and Thesis.
- Take a course in Academic Writing and pass.
- Present a research proposal in an acceptable standard.
- Successfully defend a final research proposal before the Departmental Examination Board and pass with at least B+.
The programme is open to the people who possess any of the following qualifications:
- M.Ed. (Health Education).
- M.A. (Health Education).
- M.Sc. (without research) in Health Education, Public Health, Public Health Nursing, Environmental Health and Sanitation, etc.
Goal / Objectives:
The goals of the programme are to provide opportunities for candidates to upgrade their current academic status to higher ones, teach students at various levels of the educational system, and also occupy upper level managerial positions in various health and other related fields.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- equip students with the requisite knowledge, techniques and skills that will enable them develop and upgrade themselves in specialised areas in Health for both teaching and non-teaching employment.
- enable students acquire an appreciable level of intellectual capacity necessary for doctoral progression in Health Promotion programmes.
EPH 802S: EDUCATIONAL STATISTICS
EPH 868S: COMMUNITY AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
EPH 872S: ADMINISTRATION OF HEALTH PROMOTION PROGRAMMES
EPH 897S: THESIS SEMINAR I
SGS 801S: ACADEMIC WRITING FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
EPH 896S: THESIS SEMINAR II
EPH 899S: THESIS WRITING
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes