M.Phil Health Education
Master of Philosophy
Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation
2 years (Standard Entry)
Modes of Study:
Since its inception in 1986, the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation has turned-out a number of Bachelor’s and Master’s graduates in Health and Physical Education. The growth in both the undergraduate and graduate programmes has created the need to: (a) expand the graduate programme and (b) create additional options for students. This need was also evident from a general dissatisfaction with a lack of variety in the current programme of Health Education. While still maintaining focus on Teacher Education, which is the main mission of the Department of HPER, the time has come to provide a more diverse programme that caters for the complex developmental needs of the nation in the area of health education.
The current structure of the Bachelor of Education (Health, Physical Education and Recreation) Degree was reviewed and started in 2008/2009 academic year. The programme diversified the options to make graduates more versatile in the job market. Besides, the increasing need for highly trained leaders in health education in schools, the department has recognised the need to extend leadership training in health education and promotion to the non-school sector. This is a forward-looking initiative aimed at meeting the demand for health education outside educational institutions. The demand for personnel with expertise in health education and promotion is currently on the increase, given the country’s policy shift from curative health to preventive health. This programme is therefore aimed at the continuous production of health professionals required to provide effective health education and promotion to all sectors of the country.
The programme targets the following groups of persons:
- Teachers in public Basic, Senior High Schools, Colleges of Education, and Technical Universities;
- Teachers in private Basic, Senior High Schools, Colleges of Education, and Technical Universities;
- School Health Education Programme (SHEP) coordinators at the Regional/Municipal/ Metropolitan/District/Circuit education levels;
- Personnel from Ministry of Health;
- Health related graduates;
- Personnel of NGOs in health related activities;
- Public and community health service providers.
The programme is open to people who possess the following qualification:
- a good first degree (at least a second class) in health related discipline from a recognised university/analogous institution.
Candidates seeking admission to Master of Philosophy (Health Education) programme must:
- submit an official transcript of academic record;
- submit at least two reference reports, one of which must be from a former lecturer;
- submit a 2-3 page proposal on intended area of study including references;
- applicants will also have to pass a selection interview.
Goal / Objectives:
The goals of the programme are to provide opportunities for candidates to:
- teach students at various levels of the educational system in the area of health education;
- upgrade their current academic status to higher ones; and
- occupy upper level managerial positions in various health related areas.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- equip students with the requisite knowledge, techniques and skills that will enable them develop and upgrade themselves in specialised areas in health for both teaching and non-teaching employment;
- enable students acquire an appreciable level of intellectual capacity necessary for doctoral progression in health promotion programmes.
EPH 801: RESEARCH METHODS FOR HEALTH, PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND LEISURE
EPH 802: EDUCATIONAL STATISTICS
EPH 844: CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION IN HEALTH, PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND LEISURE
EPH 861: FOUNDATIONS OF HEALTH EDUCATION
EPH 862: INTERMEDIATE EPIDEMIOLOGY
EPH 868: COMMUNITY AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
EPH 863: NUTRITION, EXERCISE AND HEALTH
EPH 864: HEALTH BEHAVIOUR CHANGE
EPH 867: SEMINAR IN HEALTH PROGRAMME PLANNING, IMPLEMENTING AND EVALUATION
EPH 872: ADMINISTRATION OF HEALTH PROMOTION PROGRAMMES
EPH 898: THESIS SEMINAR
EPH 899: THESIS WRITING
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes