M.Phil Mathematics Education
Master of Philosophy
Department of Mathematics and ICT Education
2 years (Standard Entry)
Modes of Study:
The Top-Up programme will bridge the gap and help M. Ed (Mathematics) degree holders to upgrade themselves academically by pursuing an M. Phil (Mathematics) degree programme in their respective subject areas in Mathematics. The Top-Up programme will help in fulfilling the National Council for Tertiary Education requirement for teachers who want to teach at the Colleges of Education and other tertiary institutions to get an M. Phil degree in their areas of specialization, as proposed in the scheme of service for staff of tertiary education in Ghana.
Prospective applicants for the M. Phil (Mathematics Education) programme should satisfy the following admission requirements:
- Should have obtained a CGPA of 2.5 or better in the Master of Education (M. Ed) course work.
- Should have obtained not more than one grade “C” in the Master of Education (M. Ed) Course work.
- Should have obtained a “B” score or better in the Master of Education (M. Ed) Research Methods course.
Goal / Objectives:
The goal of the M.Phil Programme is to produce trained and qualified teachers or tutors in Mathematics Education.
The objectives of the programme are to produce research-based master’s degree holders who will be:
- equipped with the requisite content knowledge and pedagogic skills in Mathematics Education that will enable them to take up teaching and non-teaching jobs after their programme;
- trained to undertake applied research in mathematics-related courses for the purpose of solving educational problems in society;
- equipped with knowledge and understanding of theoretical and practical approaches used for engaging in curriculum decision making in Mathematics Education; and
- able to provide direct services to the Ministry of Education, the Ghana Education Service, the National Council for Tertiary Education, the National Accreditation Board and other stakeholders in education.
To serve universities, polytechnics/technical universities, colleges of education and other relevant higher educational institutions in Ghana.
EMA 819 : GRADUATE RESEARCH SEMINAR I
EMA 822 : GRADUATE RESEARCH SEMINAR II
EMA 852: RESEARCH SEMINAR I
EMA 861: FURTHER RESEARCH METHODS IN MATHEMATICS EDUCATION
EMA 862 : FURTHER STATISTICAL METHODS IN MATHEMATICS EDUCATION
EMA 899 : THESIS
SGS 801: ACADEMIC WRITING FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS
EMA 822: RESEARCH SEMINAR II
EMA 899 : THESIS
EMA 899: THESIS
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes